According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to reach out to Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc in Oxford about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system often and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Oxford home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc at 662-281-1231 or make an appointment online.