Spring is in the air here in Oxford and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc team has some tips that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc in Oxford a call at 662-281-1231.