Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Oxford, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Franklin's Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc in Oxford a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 662-281-1231 or book an appointment with us online.